HOW TO Meditate
Taken from the book “Living The Infinite Way”, page 35, and personal instructions given to Geri McDonald by Joel.
These are principles all teachers and practitioners follow and teach to their students.
- Make yourself comfortable. Sit erect, with your spine straight, your feet firmly planted on the floor, your hands relaxed in your lap, and breath normally. There is no mystical or occult reason for this, it is very simple, when your body is perfectly comfortable one is not conscious of it. Take a breath and count to four. Breathe in and out four or five times counting to quiet your mind. Breathe normally.
- Next repeat silently or audibly, “I turn within to the Christ of my own being”. If thoughts enter, repeat this phrase. Always go into meditation by yourself. Never let another lead you into meditation.
- We will never be able to stop the mind completely. If human thoughts or concerns enter, do not fight them. Relax, let the thoughts come and then let them go. As you practice, this interference will subside. Be patient.
- Now, move to the subject. “What is God?” You are not interested in another’s concept of God; you are interested only in asking “What is God?” and receiving the answer from God. The kingdom of God is within you, so the answer must come from within your own being. Sit quietly and ask, “Speak Lord, thy servant heareth, or “Father, I am here, speak.”
- Assume a listening attitude as if you were waiting to hear the answer. Thoughts may come. Think about God as the source of our being and all this is, Omnipresent, Omnipotent, and Omniscient.
- Someday, while meditating and pondering this idea, “What is God?” realizing now the nature of prayer, you will suddenly find that you cannot think anymore; you have come to the end of thought about God and prayer. Then you will sit there, quietly, at peace, no more thoughts, no more questions, no more answers, just peace. Thoughts will be quieted, the inner ear will open and a long deep breath like a sigh of relief or a sense of release will probably come to you. It is as if you were escaping from something, as if a burden were dropping off your shoulders. It will appear in many different ways, and when that release or relief comes you will be so full of the Spirit that you will get right up and do the work that lies ahead for the day, or perhaps some work that has been neglected. With that release will come divine wisdom, divine guidance, and divine strength, for this reason, that deep breath, the click or release, was a God experience, the actual presence or activity of God in your consciousness.
- We never stay in meditation for more than 10 minutes at a time. It takes a long time to be able to stay in meditation 10 minutes or longer.
There is an excellent tape with these instructions – Tape Master #475 – The Princess Kaiulani Open Class Tape #2